Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Dying Asian Hair: Going Blonde

This summer I am determined to dye my hair something wild. It's going to be my last year of college so I want to try something outrageous before I go out there and be professional. Before anything, I have to create a base where I can go crazy. I have to bleach it blonde before I do any color. This is what I did. Follow me on my journey to pastel hair. ;D To get started, here is what you need:

 1. Quick Blue Bleach // 2. Bleach Applicator brush // 3. Ion 40 Bleach // 4. Ion Blue Conditioner // 5. Plastic Gloves // 6. Wella Ash Blonde Toner (optional) // 7. Plastic Bowl 
Step 1: Mix 1-part bleach 2-part developer. So if you use 3oz of bleach, you mix in 6 oz of developer. It should be a thick like a thick pancake batter.
Here is are photos of bleach in my hair. It is honestly too hard to tell if the bleach is dry by looking at it, as you can see in the photos. This is why you actually have to check by touching it. This is super important because bleach does not work if it dries.
Here is my hair after the bleaching session. This is actually not blonde enough for a base color for pastel so I will have to do another session. I left the bleach in my hair for about 2 and 1/2 hours and it did significantly lightened my hair. I went from a chocolate brown to a caramel. I didn't really need the toner since I didn't get to orange. You can definitely tell that I have a red copper tone in direct sunlight. Have no fear, to combat the copper tones, you can use the Wella toner (which will probably be need in my next session.)  Or you can toner it with blue conditioner every time you wash your hair. It's no big deal because it just replaces my regular conditioner.
On the left; from the beginning of the year before I decided to chop it all off. You can see any highlights because this was taken indoors. On the right is my hair after I chopped it all off. It looks bit lighter because this photo was taken outdoors and you can see the highlights in my bangs. 
For getting to the end of this post, here are some helpful tips:
  • Bleach does not work when it dries so turn off any fans or stay away from them at least.
  • Ask a friend to help, you'll have a more even application and honestly makes the whole process a lot easier.
  • DO NOT WASH YOUR HAIR THE DAY BEFORE! The "greasiness" of your hair will help coat your scalp so the bleach won't burn your scalp as much.
  • The bleach is powdery so try to stay in specific areas. It just falls everywhere like dust so stay in one area and sweep up later.
  • This is only for people who have dyed hair; start from the dyed hair first then work up to your roots. Bleach takes longer to work on dyed hair than virgin hair so it'll help even out your color. 
  • Deep condition. Your hair just took a beating so treat it with a mask and some conditioner. 
  • Keep checking how brittle your hair is throughout the whole process every now and then so you don't fry your hair!


Happy dying everyone. Remember to not fry your hair!
post signature

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I never bleached my hair before, but I have dyed it blond several times. Your hair looks great and I think that length suits you. You have given some great tips too. I think have a helper would also make the process go quicker too. Thanks for doing this post. Have a nice day!

    Renee May @ Virgin Hair Fixx

    ReplyDelete